The other Keith Moon

So I go on vacation and take with me "The Mammoth Book Of Sex, Drugs & Rock
'n' Roll" edited by Jim Driver.  The early pieces get a bit far from the
theme; for instance, one of them is about touring in the 50's with Woody
Herman's big band. Within it is this:

"In November 1955 I heard that Woody was going to reform his big band, so
Wally Heider rang Woody who had a small group in Las Vegas. He explained to
Wally that Keith Moon, who used to be in the band, was thinking of coming
back on the road, in which case all the positions were filled."

Another sentence:

"Well, the good news is that Keith Moon has decided not to come back on the
band, so there is a place."

A 9-year old Keith sitting in with the Woody Herman Band? No, it turns out
that this Keith Moon was lead trombone for the Herman Band through the early
50's then disappeared. Wonder if he used to smash his trombone?

Other than this, the book is a fine and rather cheap collection of stories
about rock including a report by a roadie on The Who's 1971 tour and the
incredible prank they played on Keith Moon (the drummer, not the
trombonist).

-Brian in Atlanta
 The Who This Month!
 Go to: http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm