Re: Schrade's Rave about Moonie

> Please don't take this the wrong way, but did anyone ever tell you that
> speed kills?

Yes, Canned Heat did, in their song "Amphetamine Annie."

> Sniffing model airplane glue can do serious harm.

I built model *rockets*, & that was years ago.  I've been off Testors for a
while now.

> Nor will you convince me that Keith was a timekeeper.
> Could Keith keep time?  Yes

Er, which one of your above statements are you pushing?

> But it's the essence of his sloppiness and lack of timekeeping that ALLOWED
> him to revolutionize the drums.

Again, please tell me which songs you think Keith *doesn't* keep time on.

> If you doubt my opinion, would you question Pete's or Ox's?

Sure, in a minute.  They helped create the "Keith myth."  Half the stories they
tell about him aren't true.  Daltrey's the worst.  That car-in-the-swimming-pool lie
gets wilder & wilder each time he tells it!

> Do a little research,
> they are in print a billion times each describing how difficult it was to
> play with Keith "because he couldn't keep proper time"!

Moon kept fine time. It was the way he *kept* the time that Pete & John occasion-
ally had problems with.  And I *have* been researching for over 18 fucking years
now!  Do you really believe that Moon's style of playing, or lack of timekeeping
as you say, left Pete & John so bewildered that they couldn't get through songs?
Of course not!  They did fine!  How could all the albums have been made & all
the shows have been played if Moon was so sloppy & wasn't a timekeeper?

> If you say that Keith wasn't sloppy in comparison, then what would you call
> Kenney?

Why, Mr. Jones of course!

> For me, the word "sloppy" is a compliment in
> reference to Keith because he broke away from the traditional mode of the
> drummer simply being a timekeeper.

I understand what you're saying; sloppy implies different.

> Could Keith keep time?  Yes -
> definitely.  Did he choose to keep time in a traditional sense?  Hell no.
> Absolutely not.  Yes Keith could keep time but in his distinct way.  So in a
> way I agree that he could keep time,

Right!  That's all I was saying!  He didn't do it traditionally but he still kept the
time (insert Morris Day / Purple Rain joke here).

> but most assuradly, not a "timekeeper".
> That's where a few of us were making our points.

Well I certainly wasn't saying Keith was a constant hi hat, snare, bass drum
beat-playing drummer,  if that's what you mean by a "timekeeper."  I think
our views aren't as far apart as they might seem.  When I say Moon *was*
a timekeeper, I'm not saying anything about his *style.*  I'm simply saying that,
unique as Keith's playing was, he still kept the time.

> But to insist that he wasn't sloppy and he
> was a timekeeper, puts him in a category with the boring Bonham and Perts of
> the rock world.

I still insist it!  He wasn't sloppy & he did keep time!  Keith would be so upset
to hear the things you're saying about him.

> And we ALL know that Keith was/is in a class all by  himself.

Hey!  Common ground!

> Now sober up and enjoy the show!  Well, don't sober up completely!

No, no, never *completely!*

> Jim in Colorado Springs (Go White Sox!)

Nice arguing with you, Jim.  You got a little worked-up but that's good.  The force
is strong within you.  And yes, good luck to the White Sox after putting the "big hurt"
on the Tribe this year.  Damn Tribe.  Piss me off......

- SCHRADE in Akron

\