John interview in Tampa Tribune

Available on line at:
http://www.tampatrib.com/Baylife/MGAPEXYAJDC.html

Connect the dots to bassist's art show

TAMPA - Who fans are familiar with bassist John Entwistle's first widely
seen work of art, the cover of the 1975 album ``The Who by Numbers.''
The caricature of the band done as a connect-the-dots puzzle is featured in
an exhibit of his work on display Wednesday through Saturday at 531 Central
Fine Arts in St. Petersburg.

An art critic might comment on the drawing's economy. Speaking by telephone
from his offices north of London, Entwistle says the work's inspiration was
economy of the financial kind.

Members of the Who alternated responsibility for album covers.
Guitarist-songwriter Pete Townshend had been in charge of 1973's
``Quadrophenia,'' which cost $20,000 - ``the cost of a large house back
then,'' Entwistle says.

``When it was my turn I figured we'd call the album `Car Tunes' and I'd draw
cartoons of the band,'' Entwistle says.

That concept bit the dust when Entwistle heard the turbulent, unsettling
songs Townshend had written for the album.

``Basically the songs weren't the kind you'd play in the car unless you
wanted to drive off a bridge,'' Entwistle remembers.

Searching for new inspiration, Entwistle noticed a connect-the-dots puzzle
in his son's coloring book.

Entwistle took out the lines, added the dots and had his album cover (and a
new album title). ``It took me about seven hours to do, but it got me into
drawing again,'' Entwistle says.

Unlike his busy, often complex bass guitar lines, Entwistle's drawings are
more simple affairs, mostly pen and ink with a watercolor marker used for
color.

``It's a watercolor pen, with a built-in paintbrush at one end,'' Entwistle
says. ``Basically it's a paintbrush you don't have to dip into the paint so
much.''

Many of Entwistle's drawings feature the Who and are inspired by the band's
explosive live show: drummer Keith Moon battering his enormous kit, singer
Roger Daltrey twirling his microphone cord, Townshend's arms windmilling his
guitar.

It seems appropriate that Entwistle caricature his hyperkinetic band mates -
he is the calm at the center of the onstage storm, standing almost stock
still as he plays his bass.

Entwistle has no plans to move on to still lifes - ``I'm not much on drawing
apples,'' he says with a laugh - but a drawing of Jimi Hendrix shows a more
serious approach.

``I didn't want to do a caricature of Hendrix. I thought he deserved more
respect,'' he says with a laugh at the good-natured swipe at his fellow Who
members.

``It's a straight illustration. It's still pen drawings and watercolor but
there's no comedy in it. It's more glamour rather than humor.''

The Who performs Tuesday at 8 p.m. at the Ice Palace, 401 Channelside Drive.
m. Tickets are $35.80, $50.80, $75.80 and $125.80. Call the box office,
(813) 301-2500, or Ticketmaster, (813) 287-8844.

by CURTIS ROSS
of The Tampa Tribune

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!