Back on topic

I said: "The exhaustion of the rock genre comes when artists can't get
passionate about continuing to combine previous styles together because they
are either too bored, drunk, tired, stoned, or old to get fired up about it
any more."

Brian Cady said "Or when fans and critics tell artists "that's not real rock
music!" or "if rock tries something complex, that's pretentious!" or "here's
the way your band is supposed to sound so stick to it!"  Art, like sharks,
moves forward or it dies."

Thanks for bringing me back on topic, Brian.  I think that TED's downward
spiral and struggle to find their sound after Keith's death is one of the
contexts that make the current tour compelling and beautiful.  After all the
heartache, strife and struggle they stand together on the stage - embracing
each other, taking risks and continuing the struggle to produce satisfying
music.

Personally, I completely lost interest in The Who 1983-1996.  I think they
lost their coherence as a unit.  Over the last few years  they have pulled
me back into fandom by working and taking risks.  At this point, it seems to
me that they are creating magic on stage.  Folks who are going to see them
for the first time (in years or ever) over the next two months will
hopefully feel that magic.  Part of that thrill is knowing that they could
fail (as they have in the past) and that the promised attempt at new
material could end in brilliance or disaster.

Any thoughts from folks who are going to see their first 2000 show in the
next few months?  What do you expect and what are your standards?  I
encourage lurkers to come out of the shadows.

Jeff

PS Does anyone know how many people are on this list?