Backstage from Houston

OK, Ok, ok......I've finally found another rare reason for coming in out of
lurksville.  It's long, but I don't do it often, so here goes....

I'm a 45+ old Who freak gal in Bumfuc*&, Texas with a very sick old man -
myelofibrosis - usually fatal unless a bone marrow transplant does the trick.
 He and I have been your typical, rabid, all-American, expecting too much,
whining, etc. Who Freaks since the EARLY 70's.  You know ..... the kind that
everybody on this board has been intellectualizing about for the last few
weeks.  The kind Pete has been intellectualizing about, too.

I e-mailed Pete earlier in the year about my old man -- he responded.  His
people responded.  We wound up with great seats and backstage passes
compliments of the band.  Unfortunately, my guy wound up in the hospital
having emergency surgery THE DAY OF THE CONCERT.  He came through with flyin'
colors and the rest of us went to the show, fully expecting to be turned away
at the door.

Didn't happen.  Not only was the show absolutely PRIMO -- many, many whuppin
windmills, Pete was NICE to the audience, Roger's voice was better than ever
(I know, I've seen 'em MANY times), and John's bass solo almost caused a
thunderstorm!   Folks, it was 100+ degrees outside when the show started and
the band rocked a solid 2 hours and 20 minutes!   THESE MEN WORKED THEIR
T-TOTAL ASSES OFF for a bunch of rednecked Texas, stuck-in-the-sticks fans!
Houston isn't known as the "bastion" of Who'dom, folks, but you wouldn't have
known it from the way they treated us!

Although we expected to go backstage after the show, we didn't think we'd get
"facetime" with band, so to speak.  Figured on a quick "howdy-do," an
autograph, a quick picture and a disappearing act and we'd be left with our
brains a-spinnin'.  You know, like you would expect from reading this digest
and Pete's site.  In the capable and caring hands of Pete's staff, we got
ushered through the most awsome bunch of equipment in the world to a little
picnic table area and waited.  Pete came out first, and people, if any of you
try to bash him again for ignoring fans, I'll personally come out and lay
some real Texas whup-ass on ya!!!    Peter Townshend is what we'd call a
"Real Southern Gentleman"!  He tolerated our gushing, trivia, half-insane,
adolescent comments, accepted some stupid gifts with the graciousness of a
saint and actually took time to talk to my 16-year old son about how to get
started in the rock-n-roll business.  The man was hot, tired, should have
gone back to his room and gotten some grub or at least had a shower, but he
took the time to make us feel appreciated as fans!  He stood for countless
pictures, signed lots of stuff (including my 1969 Tommy sheet music!),
answered stupid questions and made us feel like we really mattered to him!

We stupidly inquired about Roger and John, and Pete told us to wait while he
went to fetch them.  He did!  I know Rog has a reputation for not being
overly friendly after a show, but it ain't true!  He and John were both
downright affectionate and, like Pete, spent quite a bit of their time making
us feel like family.  If there are any other gals like me out there ....
ladies, Roger Daltrey is indeed the perfect male we always thought he would
be!!!!!  When the dude gives you a hug, honey, you STAY HUGGED - for DAYS!
Not to mention the fact that he's polite, courteous and just a plain old sexy
sweetheart!  John is a bit off the wall, but we always knew he would be so we
weren't dissapointed!

Anyhow, for all of you who grouse over the way the band treat their fans,
I'll be the devil's advocate.  I know I'm probably an exception, but like
most of you, I always feared that when I finally met my heros, they would
have warts and be assholes.  They don't -- and they aren't.

These are guys who have given us MANY years of their lives when they could
have rested on their laurels, played the media as "aging do-nothing rockers"
and sucked up royalties (like Mick ---  oops, sorry).  Pete has shared his
most private moments with us through his music, bared his sould in print and
song, and we still want more -- shame on us!  The band still gets out there
and busts ass for a bunch of idiots in their 40's and 50's and they DO KNOW
HOW WE FEEL!   OK, so we aren't your typical fans, they ain't your typical
band!  I think they actually LIKE doing this for us and I get the feeling
they'll keep it up as long as we don't abuse them or treat them like our
friggin property.  They are humans, have families, dogs, kids, problems, and
WORK HARD, just like we do.  If we respect them and treat them like the
family and friends they are to us, maybe we'll get to keep rockin with them
for a little while longer.

'Nuff said..........GOD BLESS THE BAND AND THE FANS!

Susan in Texas