Re: Complete list of PT mp3s?

>There is a fine line between playing a piece so much that the performers
>become bored and being comfortable enough with a song (and with
>fellow-performers) that you can really improvise without everything falling
>apart.  This is what is happening on these recordings.  And yes, they
>really were that good on this tour.  My impressions from the live
>experiences are now confirmed.
>
>The bad news for me is that I have tried to engage both this and the PT
>Egroups list in a discussion of this and have not had a nibble.  Is
>anyone else listening to this magic?  Have others had enough Who for one
>year and gone onto other music?  Have we gone straight to Vanpires, SBE &
>Sadlers?  Can we linger on The Who live 2000 for just a moment before
>letting this pop dream year go into the mist?

Maybe everybody pretty much agrees with you.  There have been some
disgruntled types who complain about the ticket prices or grumble endlessly
about Pete's choice of equipment, but in general everybody has been glowing
with praise.

Of course there was variation between the shows.  Some were better than
others, depending on the venue, maybe, or the audience response, or maybe
how tired or jet lagged everybody was.  Maybe Pete got bored with it
mid-leg, or needed to get laid or whatever.  I saw a show early in the tour,
and then more toward the end, and certainly I agree with what you've said
above.

I don't have any recordings but Pete's mp3s as yet, but here are my
impressions of the shows I managed to get to:  The early concert was uneven,
with obvious mistakes, but very engaging.  In retrospect, it seems the most
charming and artistic of the shows, much more relaxed and blusey than the
later efforts, with lots of variation in style between the songs.  I believe
I mentioned that by the time they got to the third leg they sounded like a
freight train.  Tampa and Atlanta were relentless.  ICE started off with a
steady, pounding beat and they continued like that right on to the end.
They still made errors, but recovery was so smooth that nobody could quite
pin them down.  I think most people referred to these shows as "tight," and
they were, but I thought they were less interesting.