Re: Whofest 2001; Audiophenia

> I have always, always dreamed about going to the Baba Centre and this was
> all that I thought it would be and more. Any serious Who fan and/or
> Townshend fan should not mess this opportunity.

Sherridan:

Yes, as unable as I am to define it clearly, visiting the Center pays off
in more ways than expected. We saw the original Baba albums Pete made...I
was unaware that Billy Nichols and Peter Hope-Evans were Baba lovers (both
of whom have songs on them), but once you know it makes perfect sense. As
did the Sparks thing.

> The key is to have a central focus and places because Myrtle Beach is too
> spread out to just randomly have Who fans get there with no planned

We have my store as a meeting place. And perhaps more.

> P J Proby took over the role at some point.  If memory serves, Gary
Glitter
> was the Godfather for the 1996 shows, and P J Proby took over for the
1997

Alan:

You are correct, sir.

> I just turn down the treble!  Okay, audiophile freaks, tell me about this

> longing for the 'perfect' (or just 'best') sound.  I mean, I can
understand
> wanting to correct a vinyl record that has crackling noises akin to a
roar-
> ing bonfire, but I really don't see the payoff in going that extra mile
> 'tidy-up' a bootleg.

Scott:

It's not that long a mile, and it IS all worth it. What I want is as close
to the concert experience as I can get.

> And I'm not just picking on you, Mark.

I certainly didn't invent this software. But I use it.

> But I've never done the software-type clean-up of an album or CD.  Is it
> really worth it?  I seem to be happy putting up with a little bit of hiss
or
> a little bit of mud as long as it's not too annoying.

When I listened to LPs, I guess I had an automatic disconnect for the pops
and scratches...although I never liked them. The same with a bootleg; most
and especially most of the early ones sounded bad or worse. Cheap vinyl,
poor recording, tapes heads out of adjustment...but CDs just spoiled me, I
guess. The first CDs I got were Quad, WN, and a Moody Blues "best of."
After listening to all of them, I played an LP...and heard every effin' pop
and click on it. It was distracting, and I don't listen to music to be
distracted. I have several LPs I've put on CD, Simon Townshend's first two
for instance, and yes I cleaned them up so you'd think they were
professionally made. And I like the way they sound.

> Isn't it like dipping one's finger into the power of The WHO &
proclaiming,
> "I could've done better than that!

I think this is the way most audiophiles think, though. Not just with The
Who. We all have our likes and dislikes. If Face Dances had been done in
the same was LAL was, it would have been a much better album. I am allowed
to make judgements. Sometimes people too close in the band have no
perspective...which is why the band, their people, and/or the label are not
the best people to choose tracks for a collection. Or, to put it another
way: how many boxed sets do YOU have which included every song that it
should have...or is there the inevitable track left out? Speaking
specifically to the version of Young Man Blues, why issue an inferior
track? Where is Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde, an out of print "B" side when all
the reissues are said and done (apparently)? I mean, if I was entrusted
with the legacy of my favorite band, I would do it right. Why should we be
satisfied with less than right, when it would have been easy enough to do
it right?

> something to get uptight about.  Should I be angry?  Should I be mad?
> Why should I care?

I don't know. Have you been taking your medication regularly?

"Texas" X 1000
   George W. Bush, who is apparently running for Prez of Texas

                    Cheers                  ML