Re: Who fan abused by non-Who fan

>From: Jeff House <jjthandmeh@juno.com>
>
>The grown-up chat turns to vacation destinations.
>Neighbor:  I would love to go to Bermuda.
>Me:  We went there a few years ago, it was great!
>Neighbor (with smirk):  Did The Who play in Bermuda?
>
>I have been a bit obsessive this summer, so I deserved that zinger.

Many of my friends assume that if I'm travelling, The Who's involved.

>Question for the group:  How does your obsession play in the non-Who world?

Not so bad, really.  My father started rolling his eyes in '89, when I
first travelled to see shows.  By the time the '89 tour was over, he had
gone through the denial, anger, and resignation phases :-).  I think he
still thinks its a waste of time & money, but bless his heart, he doesn't
razz me about it.  Others have asked me just WHY I like the music, or what
I see it it; others say it's addictive behavior.  But on the other hand,
many of my friends and all of my family think of me first when they see
Who-related schtuff, and funnel info and clippings my way.  Once I accepted
being perceived as eccentric (OK, wacky) in that respect, it was all easy.

I forget who it was (Emmee?), but someone posted something like the top 10
signs that you're a Who fan. Stuff like knowing the difference between a
Vespa and a Lambretta, being known as THE Who authority among your circle
of friends, etc. It was pretty good, perhaps someone can dig it out.

Cheers,

Alan
"That's unbelievable, if that's true."
   --Howard Stern, 5/25/00