Livedaily review of Chicago

This might have been posted already but I don't think so.

Available online at:
http://www.livedaily.com/news/1372.html

Review: The Who At New World Music Theatre, Chicago
The performance harkened back to the band's youth.
by Christina Fuoco
Music Editor, detroit.citysearch.com

CHICAGO--At the New World Music Theatre on Sunday (6/25), the mood was
light-hearted from the get-go. When Pete Townshend stepped into the
spotlight, he videotaped the frenzied crowd before turning it on his
behind.
Back in place as the Who's sole electric guitarist, Townshend got down
to business as he windmilled his guitar, allowing feedback and choppy
guitar bursts to emanate through the speakers. Hordes of Townshend
wannabes in the crowd forged their best imitation during the set, often
stepping in the aisles to windmill their legs or to get on their knees
and bow to the guitar hero.
"It's great to start our tour here--the 11th biggest, oh, the 12th
biggest city," said Townshend. As the crowd began booing, he added, "I
f*****' know what it is. Don't boo me. I know just as much about Chicago
as you do."
Clad in all black, Who frontman Roger Daltrey took charge of the stage
with all of the charisma of his youth. Less animated than he was in the
Who's prime, Daltrey struggled to hit the high notes in songs such as
"Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere," though his vocals improved as the show
progressed. And his trademark mic-twirling made him a bit nervous.
"The beginning of a new tour is always a nightmare," Daltrey said. "The
mic goes up and disappears. It's really light. I'm not sure when it's
going to come down."
During a particularly feverish guitar solo, Townshend pointed at
Daltrey, who broke out into a wide grin. Toward the end, Townshend took
his towel and wiped down John "Rabbit" Bundrick's Hammond organ.
prompting Daltrey to say, "We've got a new cleaning lady."
Eerily resembling both his father Ringo Starr and the late Keith Moon,
drummer Zak Starkey provided the bombast that the Who lacked in its
post-Moon, Kenny Jones era. Bassist John Entwistle, wearing a bright
turquoise jacket, black pants and shirt, provided proof that he is a
bass legend.
There were few flaws in the two-hour-and-15-minute show. The set ranged
from rarities ("Don't Know Myself") to standards ("Who Are You,"
"Pinball Wizard"). The near-capacity crowd didn't seem to mind paying
the $153--$7.65 a song--ticket price. Fans came to see action and didn't
leave disappointed.

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!
         http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm