Re: Why?

The very day of this tragedy at the Pearl Jam concert, I had just been
corresponding with many people on another listing regarding my
experiences at a Rolling Stones concert at an outdoor stadium back in
1975.
Basically, I was trying to explain how I ended up with incredibly lousy
seats up in the stands a million miles away, after having been first
through the gates that morning.  The crowd just wouldn't stop pouring on
to the field- it was general admission, and there didn't seem to be any
magic number as to how many people a football field can actually hold.
The heat was getting unbearable - an announcement came over the
loudspeaker that the show would be starting late - I'd already been on
the field for 4 hours, at least - no longer able to sit on a patch of
turf, now forced to stand - and the crowd was pushing us right up
against the fence - and the music hadn't even started yet.  So my friend
panicked, and insisted we get off the field.  And I always regretted I
didn't try to tough it out.  And now I'm thinking my friend had more
sense than I did.
     Attended a Dylan concert last summer at a small venue in Denver -
the stage wasn't up very high- and there were no seats.  But we all
could have seen perfectly if everyone had just kept sitting on the floor
- in fact, it would have been a great, intimate concert.  But as soon as
Dylan walked on stage, the crowd rushed it, and none of us could see a
thing.  Even I was having trouble seeing the show, and I'm a tall lady,
which only pisses off anyone behind me also trying to see.  Believe  me,
this was a drunk rowdy crowd, and it was every dog for themselves.
      Thank goodness, I haven't heard anything too negative about the
WHO concerts this summer, and that its all reserved seating.
    -Jill-