Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V7 #24

>Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:51:52 GMT
>From: "Jeremy Craine" <jcraine@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Misheard lyrics
>
>speaking of misheard lyrics - one i've wondered about the context is in You
>Better You Bet
>is the line
>"..to the sound of old T-Rex and "Who's Next" "
>or is it
>"..to the sound of old T-Rex and who's next?"
>
>is it the album mentioned or just a question...?

I always took it as an explicit reference to the album, an in-reference for
fans.

>Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:54:09 -0800
>From: Dan Duffy <dduffy@pgexch.com>
>Subject: RE: Misheard lyrics
>
>I have always taken the lyric in the latter context, "who's next".  Here's
>why.  The next major rock star to die after Marc Bolan (if memory serves)
>was Keith, 51 weeks later.

I couldn't tell you when Bolan died, but if it was 51 weeks before Keith's
death in '78, your theory doesn't hold as the song was written in the late
'60s.

>Date: (No, or invalid, date.)
>From: "Scott Schrade" <schrade@akrobiz.com>
>Subject: Re: Misheard Lyrics
>
>I've always wondered something similar about "Naked Eye."
>
>Is it :  When you cover up your nuts....
>Or  :   When you cover up you're nuts....

I never even thought of the second interpretation, but I think they are
almost equally plausible.  I think it's better, grammatically, the first
way. A good double entendre on Pete's part though, it makes sense either
way.

Cheers,

Alan
"It's not like bein' possessed or anything...it's just...*I* *do* *my* *job*."
   --Pete Townshend