Re: Words never spoken

> I know what you mean.  I think the live jam of "How Can You Do It Alone"
is
> better than the end result, which ended up overworked.

Keets:

Thanks for the correction. I don't have the CD here at the store, and
classify both songs in the same category: garbage. IMHO, of course.

> That is an unusually good one.

That's the thing about Pete...he has a LOT of unusually good ones!

> A way of capturing an experience?  Are we talking about sensuality here?

Not necessarily. He manages to evoke the experience, is what I mean.
Sometimes it's just visual, and the listen might provide the rest for him
or herself. But even with Tommy, who went through things (hopefully) none
of us have actually gone through, he was able to make it real.

> That is likely his best quality.  Some of his references are hard to
follow
> and you almost need supplemental information on the context or history to

> know what he's talking about

Well, that's the fun of it! If you want easy, you want Loverboy. Is there a
Loverboy mailing list, and if so what the HELL can they talk about???

> but some of the images he creates are so vivid
> that you can almost feel what he was feeling.

Exactly how I feel. I at least think I know what he was thinking and
feeling...I could be wrong, of course.

> it doesn't intrude.  Some people only catch the surface message, and the
> song speaks to them in that way, and then others catch the different
> meanings and dig deeper into what he's talking about.

Yes, and that's what I love about QUAD...it has many levels, both lyrically
and musically.

> What is it that you like about John's lyrics?  Anything you can pin down?

It varies, but the ones I mentioned yesterday have the same things I like
about Pete's. As in:

"There's a young kid inside me somewhere/He stays up all night, a vampire
that never dies" and "Touching you like a sickness." Darker images, surely,
but not less vivid. Then you have songs like Boris and My Wife, which have
less imagery but more humor. 905 is an effective device to create a dark
vision of the future, although again none of us have actually had the
experience.

> Mark, Mark, Mark,

Jim:

It didn't take you long to gloat, which I find rather sad. You can say
whatever you like, but everyone in the country (world, really) knows Gore
won the majority of votes in the country INCLUDING Florida (why would Bush
suppress the true counts otherwise?), and THAT is the bottom line. I answer
the rest of your note privately, but end this with a word of caution: if MY
candidate was up to the dirty business it appears Bush and his cohorts have
been, I'd be VERY quiet about the situation. Just a word of advice.

> Beta males--both of 'em.  I think we oughta keep Clinton on.

Keets:

I'm for that. Everytime it looks like Bush is going to get it, business
drops off. Wonder why...

"The legislature's job is to write law.
            It's the executive branch's job to interpret law.""
                     George "Boy Genius" Bush

                    Cheers                  ML