Re: Words never spoken

>That's fine. The only thing I have to go by is what they did live
>developing Did You Steal My Money (on the FD remix as a bonus track) and
>the end result (ditto)...which I think is pretty bad. The earlier live
>version is on a very similar level as the 2000 stuff, at least IMHO.

I know what you mean.  I think the live jam of "How Can You Do It Alone" is
better than the end result, which ended up overworked.

> >What do you look for in the lyrics?  Are you looking for complexity?
>Style? Just something that strikes you right?

>It can be simple lines, too, like: "Laying on my back in newly-mown
>grass/Rain is coming down but I know the clouds will pass."

That is an unusually good one.

>Townshend just has a way of putting things. When I listen to his words, I
>often feel I can "chune" right in on what he means.

A way of capturing an experience?  Are we talking about sensuality here?

That is likely his best quality.  Some of his references are hard to follow
and you almost need supplemental information on the context or history to
know what he's talking about, but some of the images he creates are so vivid
that you can almost feel what he was feeling.

>I do like complexity IF it doesn't clutter the song, and style...it's all
>about style, really. I hope that gives you an idea.

Getting to it.  One of the nice things about Pete's lyrics is that the
complexity is so easy for him.  He doesn't have to work to build it in, so
it doesn't intrude.  Some people only catch the surface message, and the
song speaks to them in that way, and then others catch the different
meanings and dig deeper into what he's talking about.

I think one of Pete problems these days is that he's always had such a
natural talent that he's never had to learn a whole lot about literary
technique.  Brian has commented that he was making at attempt in the late
seventies to concentrate more on language--and his songs have gotten less
accessible as a result.  More words and more description don't necessarily
make the song better.

What is it that you like about John's lyrics?  Anything you can pin down?

keets