Re: A few more odds and sods about WAY & IH

> >Horror Rock, from his latest live album?
>
>That's one of the songs, yes. But there were several recorded in the
>studio, and they have yet to be released...and probably never will be, now.

There's a rumor that MSH is going to try to crank it out in time for the
summer tour.

>Dig, my lad, dig! Don't mind us. I'll repeat myself: I'm not much on
>Classical, no matter who it's by.

It's no fun digging by myself.  Have you heard it?  :)

I guess you can tell now that I don't think there's a whole lot of
difference between classical music and, say, what Pete and Co. did in the
Quad tour.  Classical has to move with the times, after all, and generally
what the NPR classical stations play is instrumental music by "serious"
composers or performing groups like orchestras and operas.  Specifically
what gets played depends quite a lot on the DJ's.  Some of them are like the
classic rock DJs where they'll only play music from certain periods, but
others are more open-minded and play a variety of different but off-beat
styles of music.  Generally they go for a laid back sound in the daytime
because they're used as background music in offices (I guess), but nights
and weekends you can get more adventuresome music.

There's a certain conflict going on just lately, as more popular "classical"
type music from movie industry composers and such has started appearing on
the playlists and left less time for more traditional performances.  I love
hearing it, though, and I think the guys like Michael Kamen and Kronos
Quartet who don't see any boundaries have opened the doors for like-minded
folks on the other side--like Pete, for example.  I'd say there's still too
much bias against rock music for TOMMY or QUAD to be played on the NPR
stations (you don't hear PORGY AND BESS much either), but I'll bet that
catchy instrumentals would fly.

I think Pete's orchestration of "Baba" sounds too abstract, and if it's
played it'll be on those evening and week-end shows where Stravinski and
Cage show up.  If I could hear a strong theme in it, maybe it would fly on
the daytime shows.  Anybody else have an opinion?

>Well, let's face it guys...Roger has a lot in common with Mike Love, and
>would have been content to redo Tommy for the rest of his life. Pete, on
>the other hand, was much like Brian Wilson in wanting to move forward.

Think so?  Roger actually seems to take a lot of risks in his solo
career--it's hard for me to think of another singer who's experimented so
much.  Of course, he was always been more conservative where The Who was
concerned, and resistant to changing the format until it was absolutely
necessary.  He's got good instincts, though.  The original line-up was hot
right to the end, as far as I'm concerned, and I think it would have been
again, if they'd stuck with it.  May yet be.  ;)

keets