After The Fire

younger brother, (the one in the Doors movie).  But, obviously that
wouldn't apply to Townshend, being he was like 40 when the Dillons of today
were like maybe 15 and 20 at the time of that writing.  And of course the
Dom Deluise reference has me totally wired.

Dr. J:

He does make reference to "(re)cycling all my videotapes." I assumed that
the Dillion and Delouis references were about some movies he "found."

> I am pretty sure I read that the Matt Dillon reference was to "GunSmoke".
I could be wrong. Please correct if I am.

I don't know that Gunsmoke was even shown in the UK.

> I always thought this song was about Keith Moon.

Carla:

Could be, and that would then be about The Who too. Keith defined himself
as The Who's wacky drummer.

> from thought to thought?  too many drugs and alcohol over the years?

Bill:

Nah, that's not it. You've got to do some serious drugs for a long, long
time to actually burnout. And then, only certain ones. Even the so-called
chromosome damage caused by LSD claimed by "medical experts" back in the
`60s has been admitted to be bull.
PT didn't do anything long enough to burn out his brain. Alcohol is a more
likely candidate, and even there he wasn't doing it long enough to turn his
mind to mush. In fact, his mind isn't mush.

> ended up writing it about Brixton.  He was linking apartheid in Africa
> with apartheid in Brixton, to give it a "home town" message that the

I admit that I am unfamiliar with the Brixton riots.

> London Live Aid audience would relate to.  You know 'Apartheid isn't just
> happening in Africa, it's happening right here too!'  The "we're all
> living under apartheid" thing that Brian is talking about.

Yeah, well according to Jim Morrison "we're all slaves" too. It's all down
to your perspective. I personally don't consider myself a slave or this
country as practicing apartheid.

> it's about the Who is that I still don't think the verses have anything
> do with the Who, and it seems unlikely that he would be switching the
> meaning back and forth from verse to chorus between The Who and
apartheid.

Unless he was comparing the two?

> Would Pete really compare something as trivial as his band's breakup with
> the humanitarian mission that Live Aid was designed for?

Sure; the band looms large in his legend. And I'd say The Who had more
impact on society than Live Aid. Those people never got the money, and are
still starving.

> What?!?  Mark, go straight to the nearest psychiatric ward! :)

No, I'm right about this. It's not obvious (much like what happened with
The Doors in the `70's/`80's) but look at it for a second: most of the
longterm fans, like me, already have the albums/CDs etc. and yet sales are
still there. The band is a "dinosaur" (according to Rog) and most of the
original fans are of the age where they're unlikely to go to a concert (a
significant percentage, at least) yet they were able to tour for about a
year worldwide...this can ONLY mean there are many new fans among their
dedicated ones. We've just recently discussed the upsurge of female fans.
How many Who songs are currently being used as background for commercials?
Three, isn't it? How many movies are using Who songs as compared to the
`80's? How many Terentino (sp) movie references to QUAD were there until
the `90's?
I'm tellin' ya...it's all building up to something. Something that can only
be redeemed after the fire...uh, I mean Yes, it's happening. You'll see.

> In '82
> they were filling football stadiums.  "It's Hard" was top-ten in the U.S.
> They were still one of the few most popular bands in the world.  Compared
> to then, The Who are not even a blip on the radar screen now.

Not true at ALL! After not being together for 7 years, they were able to
tour the world and obviously make enough to make it worth it. Their
contemps, like The Stones, never broke up and can't do much better. Even U2
didn't sell out their last tour. Think about it.

                    Cheers                                 ML

Stupid lyrics abound:

"She asked me why the singer's name was Alice/I said 'Listen baby, you
really wouldn't understand'..."

                                                       Alice Cooper