Fire/synths/Unplugged

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, L. Bird wrote:

> Pete didn't write "Fire."  You have to admire Roger's technique, regardless
> of whether you like the song.  Nobody can add tension to something any
> better than he can.

Yeah, I know it's an Arthur Brown song.  I mentioned "Fire" and "Dig"
because they're the two "Who" performances on the album.  The song is
okay; I suppose my objection is mainly with the production.  I don't like
that big, booming drum sound, the bass is too loud, and I could do
without all that echo on the vocals.  Roger's performance isn't so bad,
although it does sound to me like he's straining.

> They didn't quite replace guitars, but some techno groups have managed to do
> without.  PT did predict a new musical genre.

I don't know if I'm prepared to call techno a new musical genre.  All
these distinctions within Rock, to me they've got more to do with clothing
and hairstyles than music.  But yes, Pete did show some foresight.  Just
watch though, techno will soon be replaced by the next New Thing, but
guitars will always be a huge part of rock music, if only because they
account for so much of its history.  Also, they're the ultimate phallic
symbol!

> I don't think RD will go for it.  He's said his voice is to heavy for
> "unplugged."  Basically, his style of singing is based on the volume--it's
> always been easier for him than trying to sing softly.  Now, of course,
> damage to his voice is more likely to show up there too.

Someone else beat me to it:  it doesn't have to be soft.  With Pete, John
and a drummer it'd be a nice, moderate volume where he could still belt it
out without having to scream his head off.  I have no idea if the Who
ever considered doing some sort of "unplugged" event, but if they did and
Roger was concerned about embarrassing himself, well, I wish he'd have
been willing to take the chance.

> How do you suppose JAE would sound unplugged?  Think he would play an
> acoustic bass?

No, not a standup bass (wonder if he's ever even touched one?), but an
acoustic/electric hollow-body bass guitar like the one he used during
"Behind Blue Eyes" for the Daltrey Sings Townshend show.  What an amazing
solo he played, and the sound of it was wonderful!  I love watching the
Chieftans' reaction to it--some of them turn around and look at him like
'wow, that was unbelieveable!'

Bill