Pete's Preferences;Relay; general blah..

Hello again all.  Vacation's over and I'm back.  It took a while to get
through all of my older mail but now I can get back to the swing of
things.

First of all, welcome to 15 year old Sarah.  My vision of youth gets
better every time I hear of a Who fan under 21.  God bless you m'lady.

I noticed a couple of issues that arose while I was spinning out of
control on the ski-slopes last week.  Item#1 - Pete's sexuality:

I too think that too much emphasis on sexual preference is useless.  Who
cares, right?  Besides, a lot of rock stars from the 60's and 70's went
through the sex-with-anything-breathing phase.  Hell, even Hugh Hefner
tried his hand at bi-sexuality in the 70's.  For the final word on
Pete's infamous quote (which was taken WAY out of context)and his
sexuality, locate a copy of the February 1994 (?) Playboy magazine.
Pete is the interview (and it's excellent).  He addresses his sexuality
very openly.  It's definitely a Feb issue, however it could be 1993.
Anna Nicole Smith is on the cover.

Item2:  The Relay.  I've never heard this song referred to as "the Who's
attempt at funk."  Interesting.  I do think the basis for this song is
the guitar "wah-wah" pedal sound that runs throughout.  I really can't
think of another Who tune that features the wah-wah and Relay sounds
unique because of that.  To be honest, I've never heard a wah-wah sound
like that in all of rock and roll.  Another feather in the cap of the
Pete.  For those of you who don't know what a wah-wah is, the Stones'
"Heartbreaker" is a perfect example of the traditional wah sound.
Listen to the opening riff.

That's all for now kiddies.  A great week to you all.

Jim in Chicago

"I'm sure to get the hang of 'hanging in there' someday..."  PT

"...STING!!!"  KM