Pete's sexuality and the music

Damian wrote:

> "i have been on this list for 3 or 4 years and i dont think i can stand
> another thread on Pete's sexuality... I may be a minority on the list but I believe
> this list is the
> place
> for discussions about The Who's creative output, artistry and force."

Howard Powers writes:

I see your point of view, and it's valid.  But I disagree.

I find that greater understanding of music-makers' personal lives enriches the
understanding of the music itself.  And that is doubly true in the instance of
Pete Townshend, who writes songs about such personal subjects (one of the
great things about Townshend is that he can take personal statements and
give them universal understanding/appeal).  But reading/knowing/whatever
about the man and his ideas helps give the music meaning.  Especially something
as obtuse as Tommy.  It's a great work on many levels, but having an
understanding of Townshend and his beliefs opens up meaning on new levels.

And personally I welcome open discussion of sexuality in any forum.  I'm not gay,
but think it's a crime that I have friends, m/f, homo or bi, who feel they have to
lower their voices to talk about it.  Gender preference is not about sex, it's about
love.
And nobody should be shamed for it.  I wish I didn't have to preface that statement
with "I'm not gay, but..."  And I know, Damian, that what you said had nothing to do
with
gay rights... I hope I didn't come off that way.  But, sorry to digress, this is a Who
discussion group.

Funny, sex has come up in two of my first three posts on this list!!

Howard Powers

"Listening to the Who is like making love:  It's best if you make it last."  <-----  My
comments
about resisting the temptation to buy up the last few Who albums I don't own, so there
will
be something to look forward to.