Modern Guitarists

I think that Johnny Lang has a lot of talent, and is a very authentic blues
guitarist (Buddy Guy played with him on his first album, if I remeber
correctly.)  As far as parroting Stevie Ray goes, that's just how music is.
Artists copy from one another, that isn't really disputed,  the only
question is how successfuly they meld it with their own style.  Plus, JL is
only 18, so he has a while to go.  However, I would make the case that the
two best guitarists overall in the "modern rock" are Ben Harper of the
Innocent Criminals and Trey Anastasio of Phish. Ben Harper is a master of
the slide guitar, rivaling Clapton and Elmore James, IMHO.  And Trey is a
master of jams and more importantly, can play just about any style of music
(Phish played Quadrophenia a couple years at Alpine, WI). That's all I have
to say about that.
Carl