Re: Thomas, Drugs, & Starr Wars

At 21:53 -0800 2/1/1999, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:
>Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 12:13:58 -0500
>From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
>
>It seemed to me that, given there's more intensity to the "See me, feel me"
>etc. in WNGTI and granting that he wouldn't be driven back into a
>psychosomatic situation, he must have physically lost his abilities this
>time...but found what was really important in doing so.

I certainly can't say this is a wrong interpretation, but I do prefer my
own :-).

>I think there are people who can use any non-physcially addictive
>drug safely, but with drugs like coke there's too much potential for
>damage. LSD would also go on the list, reluctantly, for the reason that
>many would be unable to deal with the effects.

But many can.  I don't see that they should be punished with a loss of
freedom for the sake of those who lost the gamble.  By that reasoning cars
should be illegal.

>> I don't think you can
>> argue effectively that pot, for example, should be legal but that coke,
>> heroin, LSD, or STP (for examples) shouldn't be.
>
>I can try! My point is that if all of the above is illegal because of
>they're harmful,

I don't believe all-of-the-above are illegal because they're harmful.  Do you?

>then alcohol (being the number two killer in the US)
>should also be illegal.

I agree, but I come down in favor of legalizing everything, rather than
criminalizing everything.

>> It was not.  "Sexual relations" is a synonym for "sexual intercourse",
>
>Actually, he said "sexual relationship" so...even though I like the job
>he's done and don't think he should be thrown out, I do believe he lied.

I've seen the videotape, at least of the statement Carolyn's referring to.
She has quoted him word for word: "I have never had sexual relations with
that woman, Miss Lewinsky".  (Tomorrow maybe I can dig up the clip on the
net somewhere.)  So you can continue to like the job he's done without
worrying about that particular asterisk.

Alan
Be sure to read _McKendree: A Burning Novel of Murder and Revenge_
by Douglas Hirt, ISBN 0-8439-4184-7  (available at www.amazon.com)