British Quad Tour

 Hello Everyone, First Of all let me say this,I would probably never
dispute anything that Brian chronicles on the list,his research and
records are excellent and  I am continuosly in awe of the vast knowledge
and great job that He does.  However, I distinctly remember picking up my
copy of Quadrophenia a full month or so before the actual tour
began,we're talking about early October 1973.  I cannot remember anything
about The Who's release date for the album being delayed due to an oil
embargo but that may have been a contributing factor. Maybe some albums
were pressed and made it to the stores and the rest may have been held up
a bit but I knew several people in and out of school who had bought
it,around that time. I can even remember   the displays in the stores all
over London, almost everywhere I went it seemed to be available. Also at
many of the gigs on the tour the audience seemed to know every verse! The
reception of "Quad" by the Who's British Fans on that first tour was
never in any doubt, It was welcomed with Open arms and was instantly a
favourite. What went wrong were other things,perhaps not enough rehearsal
time, technical problems,Roger's publicly stated opinions that His vocals
were too far back in the mix,and that He thought that Pete had been given
too much responsibility in the making of "Quad". Also the Bitish Music
press was not very kind,all of these things also affected that tour.
Regards, Derick.

Derick Bhupsingh
d056071c@dc.seflin.org