Art

>And her innovations are far less silly than feedback.  She actually
changed the face of poetry forever.  Rock is still the same old crap it
was before Townshend.

Ah, but music's not.  There were people outside rock 'n' roll who
noticed.

>> Actually, the human being who can influence the course of history by
act of will is quite rare.

>Rare in that relative sense, but these individuals are all over the
place.  History has been crafted by the wills of men, randomness has had
a very small role in history.

These are competing theories of history, aren't they?  Individual
efforts vs. collective trends.  Plus, I think anyone would have to admit
that there is a definite random element--the best laid plans, and all
that: meteor crashes, sunken ships, Russian winters and AIDS epidemics.
I take it you subscribe rather heavily to the Individual Effort theory?

> And relating this to The Who, I think they did it.

>You can't get away with saying this and not saying how and why.

Not all history is politics.  There IS the humanities side.  I think The
Who made a small but lasting change in the course of (music) history
when they connected the two concepts of opera and rock 'n' roll.  Maybe
it started off as a joke, but it took brass balls to actually get up and
perform TOMMY on stage at the Met.  That was an audience of serious
musicians.

There was a time when opera were popular entertainment, same as
Shakespeare plays.  They've become "classical" now (another term for
"outdated") and are preserved for their historical value (i.e. they have
insufficient commercial value to support production costs).  But why
shouldn't old forms be updated?  Why shouldn't opera become popular
entertainment again?  Why shouldn't symphony orchestras play popular
music?  Or string quartets, for that matter?  And who's that little gal
who plays solo electric violin?  Those are capable musicians, and they
shouldn't be limited to low-paying "classical" jobs.  It's takes a
little chutzpa to break down the barriers, but it's already been done.
We're just watching it play out.

I don't know that Townshend has the strength of will to change history;
he's too ambivalent about the personal sacrifices.  Roger's the man who
wants things.

>>BTW, did anybody here read the TIME article a while back that listed
"My Generation" as one of the pivotal events of the Twentieth Century?

>I got a good laugh at this one.  Granted it's a good song, but give me
break, it a just a song.

Look at it again.  It's the message TIME identified, that clear, concise
summary of the generation gap.  The jazz revolution may have been more
abrupt and far-reaching, but there's no individual song from it that can
be called representative of the social change.  Pete Townshend put words
to it.

>> I said that The Who's music moved forward, and you said "Art does
move forward."

>Yes, but The Who's music does not move forward.  It is the same crap in
1982 that it was in 1964.  The music is identicle, the lyrics do change.
So they are the only part I would consider art by this older
definition, but as I said before I don't see any aestetic goal in rock.

No it's not.  TOMMY's in between, and WHO'S NEXT and QUADROPHENIA, and
quite a jump in style and complexity.  Plus, the sound changed fairly
radically in '79, headed off in a new direction.  Since '82 the music
has continued to become more complex and cross-genre as it's rescored
for larger ensembles.  Then there's that rap stuff, as early as '89.
The Who (oh, sorry, that's TED) continues to set standards.  They're not
as creatively dead as PT believes.

I really do hope a live CD or video comes out from the Quad tour.
Historically, the score is only one part of the music.  There are
on-going arguments about how Bach improvised around his musical score; a
nice video of him doing it would certainly help out.  Entwistle will be
even harder to imagine.

> That's OK. I think Dickinson is a fairly minor influence, and Tolkein
DEFINITELY had more influence.

>I told this one to the guys in the English departement, I
think they are still laughing.  In fact they asked me to thank you for
making their weekends.  That is definately a good one.  debating this
any further is an insult to the intelligence of everyone who has ever
read a single line of modern literature.

Actually, we'll have to wait a few years to see how this pans out.
History is full of examples where popular works later become highly
influential classics.  Tolkein has made a surprising number of lists
recently as "serious" or "best" or "influential."

Ditto Townshend and The Who.  Check back with us in a hundred years.

<grin>

keets