Re: research help

Great one in the USA Today paper today (11/3) from AP.  It's not very
flattering to the music video industry.

A Stanford University study of 1533 ninth-graders showed that each
increase of one hour per day of watching music videos brought a 31
percent greater risk of starting to drink alcohol over the next 18
months.  Watching TV and videos made no difference in the drinking
habits of those who already drank alcohol.  Each hour increase in
watching TV corresponded to a 9 percent greater risk.  Each hour spent
watching rented movies corresponded to an 11 percent decreased risk.
Playing computer and video games had no effect.

The news article quoted author Dr. Thomas Robinson of the school's
Center for Research and Disease Prevention, who was not surprised by the
findings:  "The great majority of drinking on TV is by the most
attractive and most influential people, and it is often associated sith
sexually suggestive content."  The study was reported in this month's
(?) edition of the journal PEDIATRICS.

Of course, the article didn't mention whether the students tended to
watch music videos because of peer influences--which might also have
contributed to the drinking.

keets

>From: "Karyn O'Connor" <koconnor@importproducts.com>
>To: "The Who" <TheWho@igtc.com>
>Subject: research help
>Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 12:56:09 -0500
>
>Hi all,
>
>I'm a college senior doing a communicative research paper on the affect
=>of music lyrics/music videos on the behavior of youth.  My sources
must =>be scholarly journals, or other journals/magazines of that
caliber.  If =>any one knows of any articles, studies, web sites, etc.
that could help =>with my research, I would be most appreciative.