Roger clip on Howard Stern show

I was listening to the Howard Stern radio show this morning (those familiar
with Mr. Stern's show can skip the rest of this paragraph).  One of his
recurring gags is to have an employee with a speech impediment, known as
Stuttering John, accost celebrities with odd or insulting questions.  If
the encounter turns into an actual conversation, he finishes by asking the
person's opinion of Howard Stern.  Of course, the whole thing is taped and
played later on the show

Today as an outro from a commercial break they played the following (from
memory, mostly accurate):

Stuttering John (SJ):  Mr. Daltrey.  Mr. Daltrey.

Roger (RD): Yeah?

SJ:  Where were you when you heard of Sam Kinison's death?

RD:  What?  I'm a bit deaf, I was in a rock 'n' roll band for years.

SJ (overlapping):  Where were you when you heard of, of, of, of (about 10
seconds' worth) Sam Kinison's death?

RD:  Never heard of him.

Announcer's voice:  Way to keep up with the news, Roger.  And now, a man
who's always on top of the news, Howard Stern.

Question:  assuming this was taped fairly soon after Kinison's death, and
given that the show is taped in New York and that Roger was probably in New
York at the time, why was Roger in New York?  For starters, when did Sam
Kinison die?  My guess is that Roger was in New York for Daltrey Sings
Townshend at Carnegie Hall, February 1994.

Alan

"Never never hesitate, communicate, communicate..." --Pete Townshend