Re: The Importance of Punctuation

I can't restrain myself any longer, I must add my two cents about
punctuation!  I'll try to keep this post short, though.

I think "May I be matched with you again" is meant to end with a
period, not a question mark.  If it was a question mark, it would
follow that the question was directed at the "you" of lyric, but this
doesn't make much sense.  I don't think there are many women, no
matter how wonderful in other ways, who have that kind of power over
the cycle of reincarnation!  I see this line as a statement of desire
rather than an explicit request, and so doesn't need a question mark.

Anyway, I'm sure god or whoever understood what Pete meant, no matter
what kind of punctuation he used. :)

-Yellow "Elements of Style" Ledbetter