Who Pop

> And yet I'd classify "The Who Sell Out" as
> being mostly pop music and that's one of
> their best.

Brian:

You're right, of course. I tend not to think of SO as Pop somuch as
psychedelic music, but in this case it IS Pop. Hendrix, on the other
hand...

> I think you're right about "Face
> Dances," though.  The sound is very thin
> because of Kenney's style and Pete's lack of
> guitar playing.  Even (gasp) some horns or
> more keyboards could have helped the thin
> sound.

I'd also say it bothers me that it's so completely polished. Even WN (as
perfect as it is) isn't so smooth and clean as FD. That can be laid at
Mxylplytx...uh, that is, Szymczyk's door.

> As for the songs, I'm afraid they
> would have sounded better as Pete solo songs
> (again gasp).

No, you're right. Pete's solo sound IS more Pop, generally. Although there
are plenty of songs (especially on WHITE CITY) I think would have made
perfect Who songs. Give Blood, Brilliant Blues, and how about Stardom

> with producer Bill Szmanzik (spelling is wrong)

Jim:

Hey, don't feel bad...I had to look it up. Now his name is one which would
break the best spelling-bee winner! I can't even begin to guess how it's
pronounced. "Shizzzmik?"