Friend is a Friend and Face Dances

Howdy again folks.

It seems that many feel that Face Dances is The Who's weakest album effort, to which I say - you're right.  The dude that said "...Pete seems to have misplaced his guitar throughout the album" is right on the money.  He was at the lowest point of his addiction at that time; music wasn't a priority. Another reason for Face Dances' weakness hasn't been mentioned yet.  The Who changed record lables and producers on Face Dances.  It was their first release on Warner Bros and the first time The Who worked with producer Bill Szmanzik (spelling is wrong) who was the long-time producer of The Eagles.  Can you see why the sound of the record suits Don Henley better than Pete Townshend?  On It's Hard, the band returned to Glyn Johns who has engineered and produced some of The Who's best records.

And now for something completely different:  The words to A Friend is a Friend from Pete's Iron Man album.  (Note:  I don't know the chord progression; I've never seen the sheet music, but I think the root-chord is in D)

When eyes meet in silence, a pact can be made
A lifelong alliance that won't be betrayed; won't be betryed.
Be friendly - befriend me now.  Be friendly.

A friend is a friend, nothing can change that.
Arguements, squabbles can't break the contract
That each of you makes to the death to the end
Deliver your future into the hands of your friend.

A promise is a promise; a handshake will seal it
No amount of discussion can never repeal it
Commitment forever to borrow and lend
Deliver your future into the hands of your friend.

When eyes meet in silence...
You need a mate when facing the end
But what is the fate now facing my friend?
Facing my friend - what faces my friend?

A friend is a friend....

Th-th-th-th-that's all folks.

Jim in Chicago

"I'm Keith Moon, what's your excuse?"  KM