favorite bands

Hello all.  Here's my list of favorites in no particular order.  For me, The
Who represent the total package: rawness, lyrics, music, playing, performance,
balls, etc.

Jethro Tull--Ian is a great lyricist and the music is unique.  He's also a
great front man.
Stones--what new can be said about them?  Not exactly profound in the lyrics,
but the music can not be touched and Mick is in a league all his own.
Beatles--even though The Who are my personal favorite, there is no denying the
fact that the Beatles had that certain something that no one else will ever
have.  If the Beatles are the mountain top, the rest of us can only hope to be
worthy enough to stand at the base and look up.
Sly and the Family Stone--I just got into them last year.  I did not know what
I was missing.
Simon and Garfunkel--lyrics that can not be surpassed.  Art's vocal on "Bridge
over troubled Water."  I feel that is one of the best songs ever written.
Link Wray--the progenitor of what was to come.  The Rumble Man.
Doors--one of the tightest groups there has ever been.  Jim was a good front
man.  The music flowed.  I think the last two albums (Other Voices and Full
Circle) aren't given the respect they deserve.
Beach Boys--my friend really opened my eyes to Brian Wilson.  Some of his
arrangements are absolutely beautiful.  The surfing stuff is cool, but Pet
Sounds and the tragically unrealeased Smile are phenomenal.
Clapton--all the incarnations.  The man is humble and he has the gift.
Zeppelin--great music and performances.  Similar to The Who in many ways but
the lyrics aren't nearly as consistent.
Hendrix--one of the masters.
Dylan--who cares if his voice isn't perfect?  Whose really is?  His lyrics
will stand the test of time.
     It is a shame that writers such as Dylan/Simon/Lennon/McCartney/Townshend
don't exist in the music scene today.  Words do have power.  They might not
change things, but they do put ideas in motion.  Peace.

Mike
"It's only by the music I'll be free."--P.T.