Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #244

I thoroughly agree w/Jennifer about the Stones' R&R Circus video. The
sound quality is noticeably degraded during the Who's performance but
despite that they are clearly the superior act. I'm not surprised to
hear that a portion of their performance was deleted. Again, the
Stones' probably couldn't tolerate having the comparison side-by-side
be so unmistakably in the Who's favor and so suppressed the video for
over 20 years.

I purchased the videotape when it came out and watched it a few times.
I began realizing that I was watching it more for the Who's performance
than the Stones (and this from a previously confirmed Stones fan) and
began thinking about how powerful the act was even with the degraded
sound quality, and what the suppression of the video said about the
Stones.  It's not *that* big a thing since the Who became massively
successful anyway but it just struck another almost sinister note, like
the untimely death of Brian several days after he left the Stones.  I
agree with the writer who suggested the analogy of the Stones
w/Microsoft or corp greed in general.

Since watching the Stones R&R Circus, I would like to acquire
additional Who videos, although they do not seem to be that available.
Now I regret not catching them in NJ last summer... I hope they do
another tour so the people at the tail-end of our generation (the
boomers) can catch a glimpse of a powerhouse group.

I enjoy this intelligent mailing list and glad I made the effort to
check out the Who on the net recently (again, after watching the R&R
Circus video).  I also agree w/the writer who mentioned the lack of
media attention/hype surrounding the current Who tour which
paradoxically reflects favorably on the group as artists. I imagine
they neither care for nor retain media/PR "spin-doctors".  The music
speaks for itself.

Helen C.
NYC