Beatles are pretty lousy

>Second, I consider my
>hearing to be pretty good, and would testify that Pete said that the
>Beatles, without their vocals, sound pretty lousy.  I don't think that he
>was totally trying to trash the Beatles.  In fact, I know he had a lot of
>respect for their music and writing, but the Beatles were never known as
>being stellar musicians, but wonderful, innovative writers.  I love the
>Beatles, and while I wouldn't call their backing tracks lousy, I can see
>how Pete, who often is given to exaggeration, was trying to make a point by
>making such a strong statement.

Pete did indeed call the Beatles backing tracks "lousy", but he prefaces the
statement by explaining that they were listening to a stereo record by the
Beatles in which the voices come out of one side and the backing tracks come
out of the other.  This means it would have to be one of the infamous
earliest 4 Beatle albums.  THe stereo masters of these were made without The
Beatles or George Martin's consent.  Having been an avid collector of music
before the stereo versions of the early Beatles albums were deleted in favor
of the mono versions I can indeed attest that they are pretty bad.  But, for
this, I've never so much blamed the Beatles as much as I do the Capitol
employees who made such a horrible remix of the early Beatles material.
Also, during their first 4 albums, the Beatles were still evolving and
growing as musicians.  So, naturally they weren't as good then as they got
to be by 1970 (but then neither was Pete or John or Keith or Roger).

Heath
|                                                 |
|     Go on a horror hayride with Webb Wilder,    |
|     the last of the Full Grown Men, at:         |
| http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/5540 |
|  Punkabilly?  Meet the fathers of alternative   |
|  Country, Jason & The Scorchers, at:            |
|     http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/3301     |