Re: Pete's playing on The Secret Policeman's Ball album

In article <2.2.32.19970922174701.0070f8d4@popserv.ucop.edu> ,
    Beau McCrury <Beau.McCrury@ucop.edu>  writes:
> I wanted to relisten to this LP before I responded.  John Williams
> doesn't play along with Pete at all.  The album has several cuts of
> Pete and one of John doing an excerpt of a Bach suite.  Pete is playing
> alone on all of his cuts. [...]

I've got the laser disc that features this performance (i.e. "Secret
Policeman's Rock Concert") and I can assure you that Williams is
playing with Pete on WGFA - they're sitting a couple feet apart and
each playing a guitar.

Concerning Pete's narcolepsy, there's no evidence on the video that
he nods off, but I do remember reading about him doing so (I think
it was in the 'Random Notes' section of Rolling Stone sometime back
in the early 80s.). As I recall Pete did drink nearly a whole bottle
of brandy backstage between Drowned and the duet with Williams. The
camera did catch Pete dozing, but the director or producer was quoted
in Random Notes as saying that Pete had threatened to 'cut out bits
of his anatomy' unless Pete's nap was edited out.

- -John