Re: talk about "who sell out"

>From: Max617 <Max617@aol.com>
>
>can anyone explain who is responsible for ford using "i can't explain"?  i
>personally would be very surprised to find out it was actually the who, i
>can't imagine that pete would do something this crass?  does someone else own
>the rights to the song?  was anyone as disgusted as i was to hear this?

Not at all.  I was incredulous but thrilled to hear it.  When I get enough
Who, I'll let you know; until then, I don't care if it's promoting cars,
orange juice, department store background music -- providing only that it
*is* the music as performed by The Who -- or roaring out of the home stereo.

And, I dismiss out of hand any talk of "selling out".  First, The Who
thoroughly explored the subject with their album by the same name, although
30 years later it may be hard to realize the questions at the time as to
how much of the album was a joke or not.  Mor importantly, it's completely
wrong to assume a dichotomy between art and commerce.  This alleged split
is usually postulated by people who have a grudge, conscious or not,
against money as such.  It is frequently although not always held by those
too young to have learned better.

So in conclusion, let me say that in any way it may be taken, the world
would only be better if every commercial on TV had a Who soundtrack.

Alan

"The Rolling Stones are the Microsoft of rock." --James Sethian