Re: The Who In October (An Error or Two)

Brain wrote:

>How perceptive of you to notice about the beard!  That is indeed the key
>to the whole business.

    That's me! :)

>John Atkins of Generations fanzine also originally said that "Barbara
>Ann" was shot right before the Shepperton concert until he, too, noticed
>the beard problem. Keith has a beard in the "Barbara Ann" video but is
>clean shaven at Shepperton.
>
>Now we know Keith was clean-shaven at both Shepperton and at Kilburn the
>previous December.  But he had a beard during the Los Angeles interviews
>filmed right before he flew to London.  So he either shaved his beard off
>before Kilburn, grew it back and shaved it off again right before the
>Shepperton concert or, methinks more logically, he shaved before Kilburn
>and was clean-shaven until his untimely demise.
>
>So now, look at what they're wearing in the "Barbara Ann" video.  It
>certainly doesn't look like cold weather.  Which leads me to believe that
>if we can accept that it was shot pre-Kilburn, then that places it very
>early in the "Who Are You" sessions which is why I put it where I did.
>But I could be wrong and if I am, as Joe Flaherty said, I'll eat a bug.

    Methinks once the beard was off it stayed off, too. The problem is:
How soon before Kilburn did he shave? That day? A few days/weeks before?
As for the clothes, well, they ARE indoors BUT Keith, Pete and the roadie
are in tank-tops and Tees. It's hard to say - in England, it's cold even
in the summer (and I'm Canadian!) This is going to be a hard one to peg
just by cross-referencing...
    So basically we're looking at anywhere between Oct and mid-Dec '77.
I'd like to know for sure - there must be other clues somewhere.

>As for the "Midnight Special" show perhaps I misinterpreted Ed Hanel who
>says the following in the Illustrated Discography:
>
>	DALTREY-
>	8. SOLO APPEARANCE ON 'MIDNIGHT SPECIAL'
>	One in October 1977 included JAE and KM on a prerecorded tape.
>
>or maybe he did.  Does Roger go over to the guest host, appear to be in
>the same room, or does it seem if the host was introducing a taped
>performance of the PT-less Who?

    Ed Hanel's (bless 'im) phrasing is the suspect here. The copy that I
have has no host but it seems to be a taped performance. It appears they
are on some black sound stage and not the typical background I've seen in
other "Midnight Special"s. This all makes me think know...perhaps it WAS
a live performance ("on a prerecorded tape"). The bass is EXTREMELY Oxish
and, as I said, Moonie looks like he's really drumming. Seems another
viewing is in order. (I was completely thrown when I first saw the clip.)
If it is live, a very unique performance it would be.

The Who forever,
Stoo