Re: The Who In October (An Error or Two)

>>additional work at Goring Studios.  Also probably during this month,
>Jeff
>>Stein, the New York City fan who has been assigned to direct a
>>documentary on The Who, talks them into performing some loose studio
>jams
>>before the cameras.  "Barbara Ann" and "I Saw Her Standing There,"
>both
>>with vocals by Keith, are shot.
>
>    Methinks that was the rehearsal at Shepperton the afternoon of the
>Kilburn Gaumont gig making the date 15th December. Not guessin', are
>we? :)

>>Roger appears on the program "Midnight Special" on NBC-TV in the U.S.
>>with Keith and John accompanying him on tape.
>
>   The ever-stoic Ox and a bearded, bare chested Moonie were right
>there
>on stage w/Rog "lip-synching" to the studio version of "Say It Ain't
>So".
>Keith was uncharacteristically miming so well, it looks like a live
>performance. VERY, very weird to see those three without Pete.
>
>    Trivia question: When did Keith grow and shave his beard?
>
>Keep on Whoin' :)
>Stoo

How perceptive of you to notice about the beard!  That is indeed the key
to the whole business.

John Atkins of Generations fanzine also originally said that "Barbara
Ann" was shot right before the Shepperton concert until he, too, noticed
the beard problem. Keith has a beard in the "Barbara Ann" video but is
clean shaven at Shepperton.

Now we know Keith was clean-shaven at both Shepperton and at Kilburn the
previous December.  But he had a beard during the Los Angeles interviews
filmed right before he flew to London.  So he either shaved his beard off
before Kilburn, grew it back and shaved it off again right before the
Shepperton concert or, methinks more logically, he shaved before Kilburn
and was clean-shaven until his untimely demise.

So now, look at what they're wearing in the "Barbara Ann" video.  It
certainly doesn't look like cold weather.  Which leads me to believe that
if we can accept that it was shot pre-Kilburn, then that places it very
early in the "Who Are You" sessions which is why I put it where I did.
But I could be wrong and if I am, as Joe Flaherty said, I'll eat a bug.

As for the "Midnight Special" show perhaps I misinterpreted Ed Hanel who
says the following in the Illustrated Discography:

	DALTREY-
	8. SOLO APPEARANCE ON 'MIDNIGHT SPECIAL'
	One in October 1977 included JAE and KM on a prerecorded tape.

or maybe he did.  Does Roger go over to the guest host, appear to be in
the same room, or does it seem if the host was introducing a taped
performance of the PT-less Who?

			Yours in Who,

                       -Brian in Atlanta