Who & Beatles

>  Sorry,but I have to disagree with you.Back in the mid 60's George Harrison
> *was* a better guitarist than Pete.

Ian:

My remark was that the band members were considered among the best in
their field...Townshend was definitely one of the finest rhythm
guitarists going, and still is for that matter.
As for Harrison...well, have you heard much of the live performances? As
you know, one can do anything in the studio. To these ears, what Pete
did live is close if not as good as what Harrison was doing...at least
early on. As a lead guitarist, Harrison didn't really "take off" until
he began playing slide.

> John Entwistle
> himself has said that many of the leads that people assume are Pete's
> guitar,are actually his bass.

I assure you that I can tell the difference. I think Entwistle was
talking about the live performances, back in a time when stage
equiptment was far from perfect.

> Roger has certainly come a long way as a vocalist,his
> voice wasn't that strong in the beginning,and he was certainly no
> competition for Lennon or McCartney.

This much is true, although I could claim that the Talmy production is
somewhat to blame here. At least, from the other `65 cuts (like Leaving
Here) show his voice in a much better light than did the MG album.
Then, too, it depends on what sort of singing we're talking about. As
far as "straight" singing goes, L & McC would come out on top...but Rock
singing is a different matter. Lennon occasionally dabbled in it (When I
Get Home, You Can't Do That, Revolution) as did McCartney (Long Tall
Sally, I'm Down)...but overall I'd have to hand it to Rog (and later,
Plant).

> But he's also written some absolute crap like "Did you steal my
> money."

A few of us have "gone private" on this topic, and I think that may be a
better forum for discussing song by song etc. If you'd like to be in on
it, just contact me privately.

- ---

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend