Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #113

Vac,
Yeah, I'm the one who mentioned (and is still stammering in awe four
years later) about the titanic Pete solo show at Jones Beach '93.  Since
you were there and have read Pete's comments about it perhaps you have
an answer to my burning question.  Given the fact that Pete has tinnitus
and thus rarely touches the electric guitar live (and when he does he no
longer cranks it up), how in the world did he play that stratocaster as
loud as he did at Jones Beach.  I specifically remember articles
referring to his tinnitus which discussed the fact that it was the high
frequencies of the electric guitar (and particularly feedback and
distortion) which caused him the most pain.  Yet at Jones Beach he
cranked it up on several songs, most especially (as I've already gushed)
on "Magic Bus".  There was serious feedback ripping out of that amp when
he turned it up.  It was loud and raw and intoxicating.  How Was This
Possible?  Can he only do this in small venues because of the fewer amps
or what.  He didn't do it in '89 and he didn't do it last year in
Madison Square Garden.  Why?  Along side the Meaning of Life (which I'm
sure The Who is central to), the Shroud of Turin, and the appeal of
Paulie Shore, this remains one of the Great Mysteries of Man.
	Also regarding your other post about PNC. I don't know the size of this
venue, but I for one am praying to see The Who in as small a place as
possible A) so that I don't get a nose bleed or SEE Pete hit the chord
only to HEAR it an hour later B) because of the Jones Beach phenomenon.
If Pete needs less amps to play with distortion, I'm screaming "LESS
AMPS!!!!".  I've got my fingers crossed.
	As for you standing two people away from Pete live...you are a cruel,
cruel person (but as a Who fan you're still one of the chosen).

Brian (in Atlanta),
>And "Bell Boy" is the flipside, showing his barely
>suppressed contempt for adoring fans

I think "Bell Boy" is still Pete's self comtempt and is another example
of his ability to stand outside himself and view his rock stardom and
the stardom of other rockers the way a disillusioned fan might.  The
bell boy, once seen as the Ace Face, a hero, is revealed to be a
pathetic "boot licker" slavishly debasing himself for dough in order to
maintain the lifestyle and image that makes him a hero to others.  He
lives for his glory day memories.  I think Pete's saying rock stars are
pathetic too, desperately trying to be cool at all costs just because
someone once worshipped them.  But Pete does more than mock the Bell
Boy.  He shows he's human and can still dream also, just like any faded
rock star ("Some nights I still sleep on the beach/ Remember when stars
were in reach").
	Tomas,  the NISSAN you're referring to may be the Nissan Pavilion in
Northern Virginia which someone mentioned would be hosting The Who in
August.  I live in Northern Virginia so I'm there, hell or high water
("I'm gonna drown").
	Vincenz, thanks for the video boot advice.  I need to get off my butt
this weekend and catalogue my Who videos most of which are mediocre to
poor quality because of the shifty vendors I bought them from.  Oh well,
I'll sort it out and when I do I would really like to trade lists with
you (and others) to start.  Even though a lot of my stuff is poor
quality, it's pretty rare footage.  I'll let you know when I've got it
together.
	Amy Dresser, congratulations on your win.  Pete would be proud.
- --Leo