Re: Quad the movie & tour promotion

In message <3373494D.1C83@sccoast.net>, "Mark R. Leaman"
<mleaman@sccoast.net> writes re.

>> The picture quality doesn't seem to have improved very much.  It's still
 >> pretty grimy but it was never a big budget production.
>

>Personally, I like the fact that it's grainy...it gives it a realism and
>helps it stand apart from the slick, profesional (and therefore
>contrived) look that most movies have.

The grainy picture is symbolic of the British films of the ' 70s.  Personally, I
wouldn't change it for the world.  Those films were low on budget but high
on realism.

>I've never been happy with the warping of the
>storyline. Yes, I realize that the story on the album (unlike TOMMY) was
>for the most part introspective. It would be difficult to get that
>across, visually.

Phil Daniels was remarkably expressive in that film.  He certainly conveyed
every emotion with conviction even though the story understandably shyed
away from digging too deep into the multiple personality thing.

>But never have I gotten any hint that Jimmy has four personalities from
>the movie (except his Dad's line: "Bloody split personality!"). He's
>chaotic, yes, but so are most teens...plus, doing that much speed would
>turn twist anyone.

The most relevant references are made by his friends.  They clearly think
his behaviour is out of the ordinary.  Jimmy always takes things too far,
gets too involved and too serious about things even by their standards.

The most striking comment is made by Dave in Alfredo's Cafe.

"Christ, he's really weird tonight."

This suggests to me that he is usually pretty well off the rails.

I think it would have been detrimental to the film for it to concentrate too
much on the multiple personality side of things.  I'm very happy with the
way things turned out.

>And of course...the end of the film is totally unlike the album. The
>movie gives us a "happy ending:" Jimmy throws Mod out the window (off
>the cliff) and moves on with his life. The album leaves him pondering
>his recent past...with a new realization, but no hint to what direction
>it might take him...or even if he can escape from it all.

I don't really think that the film gives us a "happy ending".  He doesn't
exactly seem at peace with himself as he walks away from the cliff.  I think
there's an equal amount of uncertainty there.

- --
Gary L