a valuable lesson

This actually is a relevant Who-list topic. Regular list readers, study it
carefully. Enjoy, for it is an ancient Chinese formula for a long and
prosperous Who-list life! ;)

	Buddha was walking with his mendicants along the road and he was
approached by a young man outside of a small village.
	"You big fat stupid piece of shit!" chided the youth, "You think
you're so fucking special, wandering around and getting all these people
to follow you. Then what happens when they do? You tell them to sit down
on their ugly butts and do nothing. That's all you ever do, nothing!"
Buddha's face did not change. Buddha walked on solemnly and steadily.
	"Why don't you answer?" asked the youth, "You must know I am
right, for you do not answer back! I slept with your mother last night!
Answer me, mother fucker, or I'm gonna kick your ass!" Still Buddha
walked on in quiet reflection, neither smiling nor frowning, as if
unaware of his tormenter.
	"Forget it," said the youth, "You're not worth it." Just then,
several of the youth's friends appeared and poked at Buddha with sticks
and laughed maniacally. After several minutes, the sun began setting and the
youths ran home. The whole time, Buddha simply walked onward with
total equanimity of composure.
	When Buddha and his mendicants stopped for the night, one
fledgling monk asked Buddha, "Why didn't you answer that young man
earlier today?"
	"If I offer you a gift and you refuse," said Buddha, "To whom
does the gift belong?"
	"Me!" answered the monk. Buddha nodded.
	"In such a way," explained Buddha, "I refused his insults."

- -Hart Deer
(deerdana@dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu)