Video Bootlegs, do's and don'ts

Warning! some may find this very boring.

I do a lot with Video bootlegs, basically only Who stuff. A lot of people
are starting to get into it now. There are a few do's and don'ts when it
comes to video boot trading as I am sure that there are with audio boots.

When sending a tape in trade I find that the people are more appreciative
when you do the following things.

1. ALL TAPES must be recorded in 2 hour mode. Putting 3, 2 hour concerts on
1 tape might be convienient but the quality is terrible. Many say that you
only lose 1/8th the quality but that is untrue. Making a copy loses 1/8 the
quality but 6 hour speed drops off another 1/4 after the first 1/8. Creating
a BAD copy.

        1a. Use a good CLEAN vcr. Try not to rent a vcr for dubbing, they
are very dirty         and overused. I traded with a guy who used a bad VCR
to tape on and I had to            rent another bad VCR just to watch the
tapes.

2. Use a firm, strict grading system. I have received tapes that people
consider A or A+
when recieved I get a B- or C. My opinion of an A or A+ tape is something
that you yourself recorded directly off of your PPV or cable. Once
duplicated quality automatically gets dropped to an A-.

3. Use good tapes, The maxell tapes that come in  the 7 pack for about 13.00
at Sams Club and Price Club are excellent. Stay away from Fuji, Kodak,
Scotch, Some TDK's and Low level Sony's. Sony's t-160 (2hr 40 minute) tapes
are good though.

4. Be honest AKA, DON'T LIE. If you have something and you are not happy
with the quality please be sure to tell who you are trading with that it is
something that you don't like very much and would wan't them to know that
they might be happier with a better copy.
   Also be truthful as to when you will get your copying done and the tapes
sent out. I just completed a very big trade with a person in MTL that took
months to get done and it still isn't done. We were both honest with each
other and are both very pleased with the trades. I look forward to trading
with him again.

5. Split the concert at the right place in the show. Lets say that you need
to split a concert up into 2 tapes. The first ends during, lets say...Sister
Disco. you start the next tape at the beginning of Sister Disco and not try
to cut it perfectly. Unless you are a professional editor then you can
probably do it.

6. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Try not to overload yourself with
trades. Many people I have dealt with will say that "I am too busy to trade
right now" if that's the case don't push them just politely ask when they
might get a break.

7. Ask for references when trading. Excluding myself I can recomend three
people very highly. One of them is Chris Hinkle (Chris' Who Page). He is
excellent to trade with but is VERY busy. The other two might not want their
names public so I'll refrain from putting them up publicly.
        I have also dealt with people I would never deal with again and they
do ALOT of trading through the net. I won't put their names up publicly
either if you need to know you can E-Mail me.

8. Don't be a minute counter. If you have something that is 120 minutes and
are getting something that is only an hour. Don't worry about it sometimes
you have to give to get.

I feel that the best Who video boot is Atlanta 1989 and Chicago 1979 right
behind it.
Those are 2 excellent concerts especially if you are a big Pete fan. For the
fans of the earlier years Charleton 1974 is real good.

That's pretty much it. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have.

BTW: Hats off to Kathleen Pasquale for the excellent concert dates.Anything
on the west coast yet Kathleen?