Re: Sally, Pete Live, War&Piece

Steve,
Good question.  Who is or was the inspiration for the Sally from "Sally
Simpson" and from that line in Baba O'Riley.  I've read where "Sally
Simpson" came from Pete's memory of a particular Doors' concert; when
Morrison came out the "crowd went crazy" and a girl got hurt.  "Sally
got married to rock musician she met in California"; in LA no doubt.
But who is SALLY?
Next question.  A few people just mentioned that Pete is doing a solo
gig in Denver (you lucky dogs, I hate you, I hate you).  Okay, here's my
puzzlement.  I saw Pete's solo concert at Jones Beach during the summer
of '93.  To say this performance was one for the ages is a gross
understatement.  I simply can't describe how incredible it was... hell,
I can try (as if you thought I wouldn't).  First of all, I'd seen The
Who twice in '89 where I noted Pete had 1) tacked on some serious body
mass, no offense to Pete or his lust squad 2) barely touched the
electric axe that everyone knows should be chained to his waist at all
times.  I'm sure the '89 tour and Pete's unpluggedness was discussed ad
nauseum a long time ago on this or another list ("Get to the point
Leo!!".  I'm getting there).  I know, tinnitus (spelling?), can't take
the high frequency blitzkrieg he used to live for.  Got it.  So why was
the Jones Beach show different?  Oh yes, very different folks.  Pete
played a Stratocaster for about half the show, he was slim, trim and
jumped around like it was Woodstock.  During the tunes where he played
electric he started getting slightly louder as the night wore on.
Finally, as if the Heavens opened up, Pete walked over to the amphead
and cranked it up, ALL THE WAY!  He broke into a very LAL version of
"Magic Bus" and I mean loud and nasty.  I broke into a cold sweat as
feedback squealed out of the tortured amp and Pete hit several gut
wrenching power chords.  The guitar roared out at us and Pete played
like he was reborn.  Hard blues like an animal.  I'm sure the halves of
my brain fused together at some point during this miracle.  I think my
soul left my body so it could project itself closer to Pete's amps.  He
announced "Who Are You" by saying slowly into the mike, "Who...the
fuck...are you?" and then he went wild again.  Finally, after an
acoustic "Sooner or Later" (I think) he took his acoustic and held it
over his head and made my life complete by smashing it to pieces
straight through his mike stand.  Every thing I thought was gone forever
after '89 was granted to me as if God answered my desperate Who prayers
personally.  Now...flash forward to 1996, Madison Square Garden, one of
the awesome Quadrophenia shows.  Again, one of my impossible dreams
comes true.  Quad live in its entirety!  "The Rock" live!!!  But, Pete
is ensconced in his Plexishield cubicle once more and, this time, he
never touchs the fabled electric ax, never lets the Sparks fly.  There's
my question.  What gives??  1989:  Electric guitar is played barely due
to understandable pain.  1993:  Granted, a much smaller venue, but Pete
redefines his relationship with distorted decibels in a big way!!
1996:  The electric ax is hung up over the mantle (the lights of the
world are extinguished one by one).  Answers!!! I need answers!!  Did he
have some special earplug filters?  Was it the fact that there were far
fewer amps than the stadium tour?  I can't believe that Pete had serious
blistering feedback ripping out of that thing but yet seemed perfectly
fine, in fact ecstatic.  What is the story?  Who scholars, open your
dusty ledgers and give me facts.  If Pete always cranks it up for small
venues then the good Who denizens of Denver are about to have sonic
proof of God's existence.
PS:  To the Who traders who are still waiting on me for my trade
list...um, I'm getting to it.  Sorry for the delay due to laziness.
PSS:  SUE ("none o' yo damn business" (should be "biniz"), "No one on
this mailing list ever talks about John."  Pshaw.  I've mentioned him
several times (I met him twice at The Chance in NY state.  He's nicest
legend I've ever met) and I've only been here two weeks.  Other people
have discussed him on here too.  If you gotta go you gotta go, but don't
kick us on the way out.
- --Leo