Re: Shea '82

In a message dated 97-05-29 03:03:23 EDT, Shevys@aol.com writes:

<<
 Just a few quick thoughts, as I was there (1st row, to the right of the
 stage).  The order of the show was David Johansen, The Clash, and then The
 Who, not The Clash first.  David Johansen was soundly booed off stage.  I
 suppose he didn't appreciate getting pelted with every imaginable object,
 including at least two sneakers I saw.  The Clash forgot the words to at
 least three songs, which I found pretty funny.  I also remember being very
 pissed off that The Who ended the show with a Beatles tune.  I kind of felt
 like they were doing a disservice to themselves.  Glad they're sticking to
 their own songs to end the shows...now, if only they'd come out west!!

I not only thoroughly enjoyed you description of the show (a small portion of
which I cited above), but it also answered a sort of question that was
lingering in my head for years.

The question came from reading some interview with Pete (not long after Keith
died as I recall), and somehow the subject of THE CLASH came up and PETE
responded with some sort of complimentary remark, which he concluded with a
strange loittle caveat I've always wondered above..it was something to the
effect of (I paraphrase a bit here...) "Yeah, If I was just a fan they'd be
worth seeing...if I caught them on a night when they were good..."

It also might interest you to know that in the kickoff shows of a US tour
(not the one with THE CLASH), Pete started the shows in some sort of jacket
which he removed about 1/3 of the way through to reveal a "CLASH" TV shirt.

And I couldn't agree with you more about ending with  a "BEATLES" cut..unless
(and I doubt this) they did to the song what KEITH MOON described them as
having done to "SUMMERTIME BLUES"///"We WHO'dddd it" (i.e. - did it so much
better that it sort of metamorphized into a WHO song instead of just a cover.

Regards,

JB--2TheWHO!