Re: The Who's the bests

In a message dated 97-05-29 02:07:39 EDT, Leo.O'Sullivan@globalone.net (Leo
O'Sullivan) writes:

<<
 The Who is the greatest rock band ever.  I KNOW they revolutionized rock
 and roll, but they didn't do it alone.  No, I wasn't there, and I doubt
 you were in The Marquee Club in 1964 either!  But Pete WAS there and he
 gives credit where credit is due.  The least WE can do is follow the
 Master's lead.

 --Leo

Although I swear he's not paying me....I have to agree with Leo once again!
And what THE WHO acomplished at the MARQUEE is a prime example...First and
foremost, and as Pete would put it, it took balls to book that place once a
week for an entire year (ahead of time), and then to go from relatively
little know "Shepard's Bush" Mods barely filling up 1/4 of the place, to
over-flowing houses every Thursday for a year, and accomplishing it all in
three weks (that only three gigs) is astounding, especially considering how
fractured the scene was in London at the time!

And let's not forget the "session" guitarist the record company tried (and
was their contractural right,. alas) to foist on TOWNSHEND on the THE WHO's
first two singles, "CAN'T EXPLAIN" and "ANYWHERE....ANYHOW". PETE had the guy
so unnerved that by the second session, he forgot his guitar and when he
asked PETE to borrow one of his Rickenbackers, PETE quite rightly told him to
"piss off" - and "piss off" he did. And if TOWNSHEND wasn't already creratibg
MAGIC by that second session, he'd of never gotten away with it...

The name of the out-performed and dismissed "session" guitarist?? Oh, some
guy who attained some modicum of renown in a early 70's knock-off of the WHO
band. The "session" guy was named JIMMY PAGE and the knock-off band was "LED
ZEPPLIN".

Regards,

JB----2TheWHO