Pete's Women

> Pete's female characters really AREN'T
> that varied!  It's true!  Compare the women from oh say "Tommy" to
> those in "Psychoderelict".  Sally Simpson = Rosalind, Mrs. Walker =
> Ruth Streeting.

Yellow:

I've never gotten that impression. SS was a typical fan/groupie from the
`60s, and in fact the song was originally written about that subject and
later incorporated into the TOMMY story. I wouldn't say that Pete
created her so much as observed the behavior and gave it a name.
Rosalind was very similar, although in this case Ruth's creation and
again a more-or-less stereotypical young fan.
Also Mary-Ann with the infamous hand, although she seems to be a bit
more tactile in her approach...
I don't see a Walker/Streeting connection at all. For one thing, Tom's
mom is barely in the original version. The movie has Nora as a tragic
figure...the only time she's in the least selfish is the scene directly
after the Captain is killed, and...well I imagine that was rather an
emotional moment. In every other scene she appears more concerned about
Tommy than herself (I don't think she's aware of "Uncle Frank's" plot),
and the torment is shown clearly in the baked beans scene.
I haven't seen the play, so I can't speak to that version of Nora.
Ruth Streeting, on the other hand, is manipulating the situation from
the start. She uses Ray by using Rastas, and then dumps Rastas for Ray's
new fortune (not Ray, I think!).
So perhaps you might share how you see them as similar? Cause I don't
see it.
Other women to consider: Glow Girl, Jimmy's unnamed girlfriend in QUAD,
Virginia, the girl with "eyes like gems", & Athena.

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend