Slit Skirts

someone wrote ...

>An additional point is that the man in the song has _changed_: "Once she
>woke with untamed lover's face between her legs/Now he's cooled and stifled
>and it's she who has to beg".  Why has he changed?  If you eliminate
>Cincinnati as the cause of that change you're left with a pretty big blank
>space as to what _did_ cause it. Did the lover just get older? But that by
>itself shouldn't necessarily cause  a waning of passion.

In a perfect world, it shouldn't.  In reality, it often does.  It's unclear
to me if the narrator's lover and Jeannie are one and the same.  But it
certainly seems to me that Jeannie was a beautiful woman who had every man
at her beck and call and is now struggling to attract them as she once did.
 And with an extra 15 pounds or a few vericose veins, there's no WAY she's
gonna wear slit skirts like she did 10 years before.  If Jim in "White
City" is Jimmy 20 years on, Jeannie is Steph from "Quadrophenia" 15 years on.

rainman

"Brighton was just a giggle."