Re: Psychoderelict

> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:19:34 -0400
> From: "Eames, Fred" <Fred.Eames@mail.house.gov>
> Subject: RE: Psychoderelict
>
> The description of Psychoderelict is generally accurate, with the
> following two modifications.

And I agree with Fred's modifications, and will add a comment or
two:

First, there is of course the story within the story.  I.e. the
project from the early 70's that "Ray" is resurecting.  A more
than obvious reference to Pete's "Lifehouse" project -- they
flat out sing it in the record Ray is producing (with the help
of Ruth in the end).

> Second, the song "Stop Trying to Make Me Real" is autobiographical

Yes, and as with many of Pete's songs, he talks about other
aspects of the artist's relationship with the press/public
as well -- "We're all cunts after all."  (ie. artists prostitute
themselves to the public).

The earlier description of P also talked about the dinosaurs
song, which I'm not sure I agree with.  But that's mainly because
my own interpretation of this one is still oscillating.

As with most (all) of Pete's albums, I really love this one.  I'm
not sure if the fact that I do VR research myself is a factor.
I play it often when writing VR code and prose.  In fact at some
point I'd love to create an experience based on Lifehouse, which
is why I hope the Lifehouse thread really breaks out.  Last time
it came up (3-4 weeks ago) it was said that it had all been
recently hashed out here with many song orderings posted, but
that must have been nearly a year ago because I didn't see that
discussion in all the time I've been reading this list.

	Bill

/* Bill Sherman	 (wsherman@ncsa.uiuc.edu)                                */
/* National Center for Supercomputing Applications                       */
/* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                            */
/*     Og - "You want to do mankind a real service?  Tell funnier jokes" */
/*  Spinner - "but facts don't always reveal the truth"                  */
/*      Robin - "Yeah, but I always figure that's the writers' fault"    */