More Athena

At 10:10 PM 7/2/97 -0400, you wrote:
>calling Athena a "bomb" ties the song, albeit only slightly, to the
>album's anti-nuclear theme.
>
>				-Brian in Atlanta

	Out of normal lurk mode....
	Maybe I'm weird or something, but the first time I heard Athena- on the
car radio, as a single in 1982 before the album was released- I clearly
heard the word "bomb".
	As somebody who has seen & enjoyed "Dr. Strangelove", and who was aware of
the nuclear debate going on fiercely in Europe (in the US to a lesser
extent) in the early '80's, I heard the song "Athena" from the first as a
witty and pointed commentary both on the nuclear deterrent debate and
Margaret Thatcher. I still hear it that way.
	Wasn't the name of one of the British nuclear delivery systems Athena or
Minerva or something like that? Memory fails.
	When the album came out a few months later, with songs like "I've Known No
War", it just confirmed what I'd heard the first time.
		-David

   Virginia & David Garrett
      Newport, Tennessee
         garrett@planetc.com