[none]

what a rotten world we must live in! we hound on each other's views like
mad because we cannot see their faces. but i don't mind.

[btw: american film institute is showing (in washington) the murray lerner
IOW film on a big screen. i'm leaving to go right now.]

the purpose of music is to be "felt" in whatever capacity the listener
deems it enjoyable. life, reduced only to "see me, feel me" is a rather
primitive experience. stimulation through logical argument is what has
caused human beings to rise up from animals (among other things). why
even have a digest then, or a newsgroup to devote to The Who, if all that
is written is about when the concerts are, etc. this kind of talk is very
good (everyone should know vital Who-info), but even more important is
debate about the music itself. this can be done with pinache and verve,
like a good music critic (i know, they don't write for Rolling Stone
anymore; try The New Yorker or Mojo from the UK).

another thing. i think some people in the group have a dangerous attitude,
or something called Who-centrism. they believe, mistakenly, that because
this is a Who-devoted digest, "the Who is the best damn band ever and
there's no comparison or criticism in any way." on another group, i was
shocked because someone felt GUILTY for disliking an album by that
particular artist. how loony! i love the who, but i also love other bands.

music is not a feeling; it is an art. saying it's a feeling demeans it, as
well as demeaning its creators. if music is feeling, what is to say that
the "vibes" i can produce are just as musical as those pete can. or
beethoven can. if you say that, don't belong to a newsgroup; sit at home
and "feel" your music. but don't say a word about it because, be
definition, it won't be "feeling" then.

my comments were misunderstood to add fuel to a zep vs the who debate.
there should not be a debate to find the ultimate Truth (which will not
exixt) rather, it's interesting to know what others think of their
differences. arguements like, "the who is better. period." are silly.
everyone knows as well that they are "different bands." ending the story
there would be missing out on the interpretations of others.

why not have a newsgroup full of people that love music, not just the who?