The Who On Ice

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site, so if the
following is old hat, please excuse.  I've been a Who Fan since I was 17
years old in 1981, so I've seen alot of incarnations of the band.  Here's
my "question" so to speak.  Why does Townshend incorporate such a huge band
to represent THE WHO as we've seen in '89 and we'll probably see this
summer.  Now I'm familiar with his hearing problems as we all are, and I
know he can't perform like he used to, but why must we be subjected to an
entire horn section blaring away during the power chords of "Pinball W.",
"Won't get fooled" etc.?

I am, by no means, a purist (okay maybe a little...) but it seems like
Townshend (and I say "Townshend" because I think it's his call)
wishes to turn what's left of THE WHO into the band CHICAGO. In fact,
I've heard Pete, rather sarcastically, refer to the '89 tour as "The Who on
ice."  Now here's my theories why:

(1) He "hates" the Who, but in a passive-aggressive way.  He cannot
bury the band for good, but is slowly humiliating it, perhaps secretly
or unconsciously rubbing his hand gleefully as the band turns into
a Vegas revue

(2) He wishes to turn the Who into something "new".  Perhaps he actually
likes the New Who Revue big band, jazzy approach.

I'm actually stumped as to which one I believe.  What confounds me,
however, is that Townshend and co. seem to think that "more is
better" when, in my opinion, the very essence and majesty of the
tunes is lost.  If anything, the band should be stripping the songs
down -- add a guitarist, fine, as Pete "can't" play lead ;) , but
no more WHO ON ICE!!!!

Comments?  p.s. Townshend is interviewed in latest Summer Special
Rolling Stone in the Q/A section near Random Notes.  Read it and
see if Pete isn't a tad bratty here (God love him!).