Digest notes

From: Brad Goldman <brad@jimmy.harvard.edu>

What Who (or PT) song that was released as a single should never have
been?
<<<
No contest.  Athena.  Worst Who song ever.

<<<
What Who (or PT) song that wasn't ever a major release should have
been?
<<<
Rich, I agree with you on this.  Relay.

From: mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark Leaman)

So instead of the more serious work we got on the LP, we got in essence
Tommy-on-acid. Indeed, a lot of the scenes look as if they were designed
be seen when tripping one's brains out. As many times as I listened to
the
original TOMMY on acid, I can't say that I ever saw the movie that way.
<<<
Believe me, it was worse...  Oliver Reed singing 1921 (or wasn't it 1951
in the movie?)... ugh!

From: Rich Thomson <rthomson@ptc.com>

Unlike his synth. experiments, Pete didn't seem to keep the guitar
effects boxes for his preferred sound -- does anyone know why
<<<
I like to think it was because he just returned to a straight ahead sound
that allowed the qualities of his amp to shine through: namely, that
Hiwatts sound great after you turn 'em up to regular level (10).  No one
can distinguish much effects when their ears are bleeding!  This just
reinforces the assertion that the Who were two vastly different bands in
the studio and on the stage.  There was such craftsmanship on the albums
as opposed to such carnage onstage.  And almost all of the members have
been quoted as saying that the band was constantly trying to capture the
live sound on record.

Actually, I want to go and read the interview on Joe's web page.  Maybe
there is some info there about this topic.

OK,
KLW