Re: Roger/Rough Boys

In a message dated 96-05-10 17:15:56 EDT, WFang01@aol.com writes:

>As for the "homosexual song" part, this was the begining of the famous
questioning of the Timothy White interview with Pete... He asked Pete about
"Rough Boys" and was it a "coming out" and Pete said "no" and a lot of
homosexual people wrote him saying how brave it was he was coming out, etc.
 However, Pete said that's not really what it's about at all... Then he
babbled on about running up to someone and screaming in their face, etc,
etc...

I've always thought that it was much more "brave" for Pete to sing "And I
Moved".  Yeah, it's supposed to be written for Bette Midler, but does anyone
else know of an artist who writes songs for the opposite gender and then
sings them themselves?

It's interesting that the Timothy White interview with Pete is so famous.  I
would assume the most remembered interview with Pete would be that Rolling
Stone interview (sorry, don't remember the date) in which Pete was asked
about the significance of WGFA being some sort of big important message or
something -- and Pete responded "It is the stupidest song I've ever written."

-gordie